Tags

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Midnight in Paris (2011, Woody Allen)


…Or Paris by midnight

The story of a young American couple travelling to Paris: their path will separate as their expectations are different. Gil (Owen Wilson) is interested in writing and wishes to stay longer in Paris, the city of arts. His wife Inez (Rachel McAdams), however, wants something else.
Midnight in Paris
A masterpiece: that is the word that comes to mind when walking out of the theatre. There are lots of talented directors indeed but directors like Woody Allen has nothing to prove. I am not a fan of his and I’m not saying this because I live here but in my humble opinion, Midnight in Paris is one of 2011’s biggest successes. It’s like a declaration of love to the french Capital in an imaginative, nostalgic, effective way.   

The movie begins with some glimpses of Paris with all its aspects: in the sun, in the rain, day and night. There is even the theatre I was in when watching the movie (the UGC Danton).

After what I would call “the intro scenes” that show who he is and what kind of relationship he has with his relatives, the audience is slowly brought into the main character’s mind from the moment he travels through time and space and back, living the magic of the world he’s always dreamed of (a journey with famous artists like Fitzgerald, Picasso, Stein, Hemingway, etc.) and searching for inspiration for his novel. The appearance of those people and the décor change seem surprising at first. Then, like Gil, one gets used to the contrast. Gil has become torn between two different eras, two different lives and even two beautiful women.

Owen Wilson’s performance deserves credits here. He played so well that it made me think I was wrong to see him as a mere “Frat Pack”.

Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams
The story is accompanied by fabulous oldies music (François Parisi, Jacques Offenbach and especially Cole Porter whom I particularly adore) which perfectly fits the plot. Midnight in Paris reminds me how much this city is beautiful and how lucky I am...

 
Memorable quotes
Inez: You’re in love with a fantasy
Gil: I’m in a very perplexing situation

No comments:

Post a Comment